by Dina Strada
Nowhere have I seen more closed off or shut down hearts than in my Reiki practice.
It is there in my office that people lie on the table, both vulnerable and apprehensive as they share their personal stories of a relationship gone sour, a devastating betrayal by someone they loved or their long history of being unable to trust anyone after a bitter divorce or breakup.
When our heart has been hurt one of the primary places we feel it most is in the imbalance of our chakra system. We know something feels off in our bodies but we can’t quite put our finger on exactly what that is.
Think of your 7 chakras as a fluid connection flowing seamlessly between mind, body and spirit. When all channels are open and clear our energy flows and we’re in balance. Things feel effortless in our lives, our mind is clear and we don’t experience feelings of fear, uncertainty, jealousy or insecurity.
When any of them are blocked, especially the heart, it manifests in us being unable to love or be loved. A blocked heart chakra sometimes shows itself as anger, bitterness, defensiveness and a general feeling of being closed off and unapproachable.
And if we’re unapproachable, how can we possibly attract in love again? Not just from another person but from ourselves?
How do you know if your heart chakra might be blocked? These are some of the tell-tale signs that your heart might be in need of opening:
1) You lack self-love and often feel insecure;
2) You struggle with compassion for yourself and others;
3) People often tell you you’re cold or emotionless;
4) The thought of being vulnerable terrifies you;
5) You identify love with pain;
6) You often feel emotionally numb.
There are many ways to unblock the heart chakra and begin to open it again. You don’t need to be a Reiki Master or call in a professional to do this for you.
To begin a chakra meditation practice, keep it short, simple and consistent:
- Sit down cross-legged, or lie down if it’s more comfortable.
- Breathe slowly in through the nose and out through the mouth until you feel your body and mind become still and present.
- Visualize your breath traveling to your chest as you picture the color green.
- Take five deep, cleansing breaths that you send to your heart chakra. As you breathe, picture your breath clearing out your chakra. Imagine a spinning disc of green energy, glowing brighter with each inhale of the breath.
- Visualize your heart as a great big green ball and then see it unfolding—opening up to love. Let the feelings that flow from it radiate throughout your body.
- Repeat the mantra as you breathe in and out. “I am open to receiving love. I am open.”
There are wonderful guided Hemi-Sync® meditations and Metamusic® you can listen to geared specifically towards opening your heart which can help you relax and become truly present as you do this simple meditation practice.
Remember to keep it simple and be gentle with yourself as you go through this process. Opening our hearts is a vulnerable act and one that takes courage and trust. We can’t protect ourselves from ever being hurt again, but we can work to heal ourselves from these setbacks and losses in our lives, so that we can enjoy the joy and bliss of feeling love again.
Dina Strada is a freelance writer and Life Coach whose work has appeared in Huff Post, elephant journal, Medium, Thrive Global, Chopra, Mind Body Green and various other online publications. Read more of her work at www.dinastrada.com.