by Dina Strada
The first time I heard one of my Spirit guides talk to me was when I was 12 years old and I liked a boy.
I was sitting next to said cute boy in the woods after a softball game and he was holding my hand. When I looked up at him I heard this small voice say to me, “He’s waiting for you to tell him it’s okay to kiss you. It’s safe to let him do that.”
Well even at 12, I knew that wasn’t my good girl Catholic voice chatting me up so I assumed it was coming from somewhere else. I relaxed enough to whisper that it was okay to kiss me. He smiled shyly and said, “I was waiting for you to say that!” And alas, I had my first kiss.
Since then I have had a consistent practice of communicating with my Spirit guides. Guides, angels, and ascended masters are light beings that are here solely for our soul’s growth and have a lot of wisdom, experience and knowledge to guide us on our spiritual path. Most of them have lived many lifetimes on this earth and have chosen to be a guide in this iteration to help us. What most people don’t realize is that they don’t interfere in our lives unless we ask for their help.
There are many ways to connect with your guides. The single best way to talk to them is through meditation. If you’re new to this practice, here are five ways to connect with your guides and trust the information you hear:
- Create a Sacred Space – As with anything sacred, calling in your guides requires the right environment and mindset. You’re calling in pure Divine energy and your physical environment should be prepped to support this energy. Create an altar with crystals, candles and other items that are special and significant to you. Then dim the lights, burn some sage or palo Santo to clear the energy and begin the ritual of calling in your guides.
- Writing – Intuitive or automatic writing is a fantastic way to connect with guides and receive answers to your questions. After a short prayer of your choice and meditation, write at the top of the page: “I’m inviting my guides to communicate with me and bring forth only truth and information that’s for my highest good.” Then let your pen flow. Let whatever needs to come through, come through – ideas, inspiration, visions, answers to questions you have. Don’t think when you’re writing. Just let whatever comes fall onto the page.
- Ask for signs – Another way to validate information you receive from your guides is to ask for a sign. Choose a sign and say, “If I’m on the right track or this is the right choice for me, show me…” Don’t overthink it: the sign can be something as simple as a butterfly or a particular song coming on the radio. Then sit back and see what shows up. For me, my sign of choice is one of those yellow “Wide Load” signs that you see on the back of trailer trucks. Sure enough whenever I ask for a sign from my guides, one of them inevitably drives past me on the freeway.
- Oracle Cards – Using an Oracle deck like the ones from spiritual medium and Oracle expert Colette Baron Reid is an excellent way to speak with your guides. You can even use one of Colette’s online Oracle apps to ask questions that way although I prefer a good old fashion deck of cards. After a brief meditation, ask your guides a question such as, “What do I need to know about this situation that can help me,” and select three cards. Make sure you are asking from a neutral place and don’t attach to an outcome or certain answer. I have never had information come through the Oracle cards that has been wrong. Trust what you receive.
- Sleep – Our guides often will come to us while we sleep because they can’t get our attention during the busy day. Before you go to bed ask your guides to come to you while you’re asleep. Listen to a guided meditation before bed to help call in your guides. When you wake up in the morning, take 10-15 minutes to write any messages you got or visions you remember while you slept. They may make no sense at all while you’re writing them down but trust that later they might mean something.
Lastly and probably the most important, give thanks to your guides often. We all like to be appreciated, and our guides and angels are no different! Gratitude is our way of opening to more blessings and is a beautiful acknowledgment of those wishes and intentions we’ve asked for that have already been granted.
Dina Strada is a freelance writer and Life Coach whose work has appeared in Huff Post, elephant journal, Medium, Thrive Global, Chopra, Mind Body Green and various other online publications. Read more of her work at www.dinastrada.com.